Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe and Free Digital recipe card

he other day my son asked me to bake him some brownies but I ran out of oil. I purchased the oil and told my husband I was going to make some brownies for Dylan well that started a big ol' thing about me baking him stuff and not everybody else. Of course everybody gets the pleasure of eating the brownies but my son Dylan was the one that asked. So my husband and other son decided to challenge me by thinking up something that would be difficult for me to bake them. They didn't want to make it easy on me. Just trying to get my goat I think!!! So they came up with cherry or lemon meringue pie. I told them that I didn't have any cherries but I could make Lemon meringue pie. They couldn't believe it. I didn't even bat an eye. I just said I would do it. Now I have not made a lemon meringue for years obviously since I have been married for 20 yrs and my husband doesn't remember me ever making one. So yesterday I made a lemon meringue pie. I also created a cute digital recipe cards for you to print out. Including a blank one so you can put your own favorite recipes on them. I will be adding to this set all week so keep checking.


Back to the pie. My biggest challenge was the pie crust I hate making pie crust!!! I don't know why it's not hard I just hate it.
1. First bake your favorite piecrust I just used the one on the crisco can
2 cups of flour
2/3 cup of crisco
1 tsp salt
4-6 tablespoons of water.
roll out the dough and bake  (tip: poke holes on the bottom of the crust with a fork to keep it from forming a big bubble on the bottom) set aside ald let cool.
Now start making your filling.
Lemon Filling
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
2 lemons, juiced and zested I just used real lemon juice
2 tablespoons butter
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
Meringue
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons white sugar
1 pinch of cream of tarter
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
3.To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form (use a mixer it will save you time and energy!!!). Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust. (this part is very important if you don't cover the edges with the meringue it will shrink and your meringe will not look pretty)
4.Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Allow pie to cool completely before serving.